My present art practice
In the process of analogue photography negative film is an element which I’m interested in, similarly x-ray plates of body parts and other possible resources where I visualize the distortion of real objects and situations are the primary and main reference point of my recent art works. In my paintings I am translating these image resources into my own visual language.
My present works are surrounding related. By surroundings, I mean any object, any situation and experiences from daily life that get stuck in my memory. I observe the characters, forms, functionality and structure of those objects. I try to keep these factors in my mind and observe the next object in relative to that. Although all of these objects are different in nature, somewhere they are getting arranged together in my compositions. I arrange them in a single space after modifying and combining their objectivity at one space. By putting these everyday experiences in my composition, I create a new relation between these objects. My whole process of these arrangements is to consciously imagine the reality to transfer it to a state of semi-surrealism and thus inhabiting two objects of different sources at one space.
This is the reason why I have chosen the negative film format as this is a field which provides endless possibilities of documenting imaginative space. When we look through these negative films, what we basically see is a monochrome space, in which, originally the lightest region appears darkest and vice versa. So it can never be understood with proper precision that which person or place or time that negative film is documenting. We already need to employ imagination to read a negative film.
In my works, one object’s form gets transformed to another object’s form through such imaginations. I have put these images in negative format so that these two types of images can get merged.
Negative as a source or resource of image I am using the colour tone and trying to understand certain mysterious exposition of image. I am using the reference of this image translating in to my art work. Translating the visual in to my art work and explaining my own curiosity toward that visual.
I am inspired by the negative films. When I doing work and I see the negative film materials, the material are almost transparent and of plastic quality. So I used in my paintings, specialty OHP sheets because it’s transparent. I think that when I paint a transparent sheet then I recognise the reverse process which I think my work suits best on the transparent sheet. After that this process brings the similarity with negative effect in my work. I can also use the acrylic sheet, but to absorb the character of negative films, I think that negative film has its own flexibility, thickness for which OHP sheet is most suited.
Negative films have many colours creating positive – negative space. To me is full of mystery. I need to put this mystery in my painting. Every time many questions knocked me, because normally we see the negative films in brown colours, but if we change the brown colour to another colour I must know which colours can bring right dimension to my work.
So my idea is to start with a no colour situation and continuously experiment with multiple colour, thereby attempting to bring in a new concept through my composition, which explains the character of negative.
- NAME - DEBAROTI SETH
- DATE OF BIRTH - 01.04.1987
- FATHER’S NAME - LATE JATINDRA NARAYAN SETH
- MOTHER’S NAME - JYOTSNA SETH
- ADDRRESS - 35/42 RABINDR A AVENUE, DISTRICT + POST – MALDA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA, PIN NO - 732101
- MOBILE NO - + 91 9126406071
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
EDUCATIONNAL BIO QUALIFICATION
- 2018 – M.F.A. (PAINTING) VISVA BHARATI UNIVERSITY
- 2016 - B.F.A (PAINTING) SANTINIKETAN VISVA BHARATI UNIVERSITY
- 2012 - M.A (ENVIRONMENT) RABINDRA BHARATI UNIVERSITY
- 2009 - B.COM (H) NORTH BENGAL
- 2006 - 10+2 (W.B.C.H.S.E)
- 2004 – 10 (W.B.S.E)
- 2018 - BENGALURU WORK SHOP IN PAINTING
- 2017 - conservation and restoration of oil painting;
- 2015 – ENAMEL PAINTING
- 2015 - MURAL
- 2014 - THANKA PAINTING
PARTICIPETION IN SHOW
- 2018 – THE INDIA STORY
- 2018 – WEST BENGAL CHARUKALA UTHSAB 2018
- 2018 – WARLD WARE ART MOVEMENT
- 2018 - ICCR
- 2018 – EXHIBITION ON ARTSCAPE , 7TH ALL WOMEN’S ART EXHIBITION
- 2017 – JAIPUR ART SUMMIT
- 2017- SSVAD,YOUNG ARTISTS OF SANTINIKETAN ANNUAL EXHIBITION
- 2017 - PAINT MY THOUGHTS
- 2016 - 50 BIRLA ACADEMY OF ART AND CULTURE
- 2016 - CAF CONTEST 2016
- 2016 - ICCR
- 2016 – ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS
- 2015 - EXHIBITION ON ARTSCAPE, 4th ALL INDIA WOMEN’S ART EXHIBITION
- 2014 - 4th VISION AND CREATION KURSEONG DARJEELING
- 2018 – MINISTRY OF CULTURE, JUNIOR FELLOWSHIP.